This guided tour is the perfect way to discover the Castle District.
- Small-group walking tour with licensed guide
- A look into the fascinating past of Buda Castle area
- Skip the line entry and guided visit to Matthias Church
- Hear tales of Medieval Royalty who resided here
- Enjoy the panoramic lookout of Fisherman’s Bastion
- Coffee and cake stop included
Adult: 45 €
Student with ID: 42 €
Child: 20 €
Meeting & Conclusion Point
Buda Castle District I, Szentháromság tér
Licensed English speaking guide, skip the line entry and guided tour in Matthias Church, coffee stop with dessert
Pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- Please wear modest clothing when visiting the church.
- Diplomatic receptions in the Castle District can alter the tour route any time of the year.
- You will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 2,5 hours.
- Tour goes in all weather conditions
Full Tour Description
Get a historical overview of the Buda Castle District, walk through the small cobblestone streets and squares with a professional local guide. You’ll get a feel for its mediaeval aspects from the first stone laid to the present day use. Your guide will lead you through the Castle area and its historical points, occupations and roles it played throughout Hungarian history.
We’ll also show you around inside the Matthias Church and tell its stories and legends. Enjoy the magnificent view over the city with the Parliament, Margaret Island, the Danube and more from Fisherman’s Bastion. This tour takes you back in time to see how Castle Hill was originally built and designed. You’ll come to understand how the whole area was used over the centuries by many different cultures and nations.
You’ll walk through these major historical points and learn how the Castle District survived and helped its inhabitants defend and live through invasions and occupations for centuries.During this tour, you will see the major sights including Royal Palace, the Presidential Palace, Funicular, Disz Square, Holy Trinity Square, Hess Andras Square. Enjoy a break for coffee and cake in a cosy Café of the Castle District.