Explore Budapest's underground labyrinth on this 3-hour caving adventure!
Click here for full description
Highlights and Themes
- Explore the caves under Budapest
- A unique experience with lots of crawling and climbing Learn about the geology of Hungary
- Professional English speaking caving guides
All year round
15:30 - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
10:30 - Tuesday, Thursday
14:30 - Saturday
- Caving entry fee
- Professional English speaking expert caving guide for the tour
- Use of helmet and lamp
- Use of overall suit
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- No food or drink is included but available
Know before you go
- Due to insurance reasons this tour is not suitable for guests under the age of 14 and over the age of 55.
- Guests under or over this age limit will be refused to participate in the tour with no refunds.
- Participants must be physically fit for climbing and crawl for 2 hours.
- For the safety of the mother and baby, we do not allow pregnant women to participate.
- Guests must sign a waiver form as we are not responsible for any accidents. (Parents/guardians must sign liability and waiver forms for any participants under the age of 18 years.)
- Guests need to wear closed-toe sports shoes – flip flops, high heels and sandals are not suitable and guests will forfeit their participation without refund. The temperature is 16-18°C in the cave warm pullover is recommended.
- Caving overalls are provided.
- Cancel up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund. No show or non-participation on the tour will not be refunded
At the Pál-völgyi Caves - 1025 Budapest, Szépvölgyi str 162.
(The travel time from the center to the caves is about 45 minutes by public transport.)
Please make sure you have valid transport pass or public transport tickets with you!
Directions from the city center by public transportation:
Catch bus number 9 towards 'Óbuda, Bogdáni út' Bus number 9 has several stops in the central area of Budapest, you can catch it from Kalvin Square, Astoria, Deak Ferenc Square, St. Stephen's Basilica, Arany Janos Street, Nyugati Railway Station etc. You need to get off from the bus at Kolosy Square.
Walk down Lajos Street until you reach Szepvolgyi Street and turn to the right. Walk 100 m until you reach the bus terminal.
From Kolosy Square you should catch bus number 65 or 65A. Get off at 'Pál-völgyi cseppkőbarlang', 5 stops from Kolosy Square.
please, note that the buses only stop if someone gets off the vehicle, you can ask the bus driver remind you when you reach your destination.
Public transport tickets:
please buy them in advance. 1 single ticket is valid for 1 journey. If you change busses, you need to validate a new ticket.
Who would have thought of having a caving adventure in Budapest? Many people frequent Hungary's famous thermal baths. But only a few know that the subterranean thermal waters streaming up from deep underground have created a huge cave system underneath the city. The caves of Budapest are thought to be more than 100 km long and nominated to UNESCO World Heritage sites. The longest cave under Budapest is the 31 km long Pál-völgyi-Mátyás-hegyi cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. Many of it's chambers under the residential districts of Budapest. This system of caves represents a real multi-level labyrinth system and is perfect for a caving adventure in Budapest.
Our regularly scheduled cave tour lasts for around 2.5 – 3 hours and is overseen by qualified caving guides. You'll often have to climb walls and crawl through narrow passages, and all deep underground, so be prepared for unique experience. This caving adventure in Budapest is probably not the best tour for the claustrophobic!
Under the supervision of professional caving guides, you'll travel through natural parts of the caves. All caving equipment is provided, including overalls, helmets and lamps and you can change clothes in changing rooms. Even though you might have to crawl, climb, scramble or creep a great deal, no previous caving experience required.
All tour guides are members of the Hungarian Caving Association.