Enter the salt city!
Visit one of the oldest salt mines on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List!
Highlights and Themes
- Underground galleries, chambers and lakes
- The most beautiful Polish tourist attraction
- Positive influence on health
- One of the oldest salt mines listed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List
Tour Priceonline booking
Adult: 37,5 €
Students (16 - 25 yrs): 30 €
Children (6 - 15): 20 €
Children (0 - 5) free of charge
English speaking guide, bus transfer to the salt mine and back, entry to the salt mine.
Food and beverages, gratuity/tip
All year round
9:00 and 15:00, Tuesday / Thursday / Friday
Discover Krakow Tourist Information Point, 2 Swietego Jana Street
Duration: 4 hrs
Enter the salt city! This underground labyrinth stretches over 9 levels at 64 to 327 meters below the surface of the Earth. A labyrinth of nearly 2,400 chambers is connected with sidewalks with a total length of 245 km. It is an invaluable monument of material culture, inscribed in 1978 on the UNESCO Heritage List.
Visit one of the largest open-air museums underground mining, where "white gold" was extracted. Wieliczka Salt Mine is one of the most precious and fascinating Polish monuments. The first tourist trail in Wieliczka was established as early as at the turn of the 19th century. A couple of centuries later the salt mine was designated as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites (1978). The underground trail leads through numerous drifts, galleries and chambers, where traces of mining activity have been preserved, as well as examples of sacred art, theme compositions relating to the history of the mine and its legends.
Wieliczka is at the same time the world's largest mining heritage museum with a collection encompassing unique pieces of mining equipment reflecting the development of mining techniques from the Middle Ages until today. Moreover, the microclimate of the mine has a beneficial impact on visitors who suffer from asthma and allergies. The tour starts with a descent down the stairs to the depth of 64 meters. Visitors are led through a number of chambers and shown underground lakes, shrines and salt monuments. The trip finishes at the level of 135 meters below the surface. Visitors return to the surface by lift.
- The temperature in the mine is constant (about 14°C), and therefore we recommend bringing warm clothing even in the summer.
- There are 800 steps on the way, including 380 at the very beginning. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
- The price does not include fees for photography and filming. The tour does not include a meal, so please bring a packed lunch.
- The tour is not recommended for travellers with claustrophobia.
Terms & Cancellation Points
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 2.5 hours.
- Important notice: there are 800 steps on the way, including 380 at the very beginning.
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- Programs cancelled within 72 hours of travel date incur 100% cancellation penalty with no refunds given.