- WALKING TOURS
- Budapest Absolute Walk
- Budapest Castle District Walk + dessert stop
- Hammer & Sickle Tour, Communist Times
- Hidden Budapest
- Night Stroll & Boat Cruise
- Christmas Market Tour + Wine Tasting
- Alternative Budapest Tour
- Absolute Street-food Experience
- Classic Gastro Tour + Wine Tasting
- Budapest Pub Crawl Nightlife Tour
- BIKE & SEGWAY
- Segway Tours:
- Daily Segway Tours in Budapest
- Year Round Daily Segway Tours
- Budapest Fun Segway Tour
- Evening Segway Tour + Margaret Island visit
- Budapest Castle District Segway Tour
- Off-Road Segway Adventure in Buda Hills
- Bike Tours and Hiring:
- Bike Tours in Budapest
- Budapest Bike Tour + café stop
- Alternative Budapest Bike Tour
- Budapest E-Bike Tour + Coffee Stop
- Budapest Summer Evening Bike Ride
- Szentendre Bike Tour
- Budapest Bike Rental & Hire
- Big Groups & Incentives:
- Large Group Segway and Bike Tours
- Segway Company Incentives
- PRIVATE TOURS
- Private Budapest Walking Tour + cafe stop
- Private Buda Castle Walk + cafe stop
- Private Budapest Night Stroll & Boat Cruise
- Private Communist Times & Statue Park visit
- Private Hammer & Sickle Tour
- Private Jewish Budapest Walking Tour
- Private Tour of Budapest & Hungary History
- Private Bike Tours in Budapest
- Private Budapest E-Bike Tour + Coffee Stop
- Private Budapest Segway Tours
- Budapest Private Fun Segway Tour
- Private City Tour by Minivan
- University & School Group Budapest Tours
- Budapest Incentive & Conference Tours
- OUT OF BUDAPEST
- SPECIAL PROGRAMS
- CONTACT & ABOUT
The way it was comrade!
Go back to the good old times when we drove Trabants, drank spirits at work, lived in blocks of flats, stood in banana lines, had two passports, coupon books, no TV on Mondays and no freedom of speech! Experience the build up to the 1956 Uprising, follow the marches, re-live the battles, hear the stories!Click here for full description
Highlights and Themes
- In-depth Communist history of Hungary
- Recent history that put Hungary on the political map: , WWI-II, 19th century overview
- Visit our own unique exhibition of what life used to be like back then (display of furniture, artifacts, documents, relics)
- The Speeches, protests, marches and the Soviet invasion areas of 1956
- Life and culture and how we lived under Big Brother
- Prelude to freedom with the fall of the Iron Curtain
2017 Ratesonline booking
54 € Adult
50 € Student (with a valid student card)
27 € Child (up to 12 years)
Infants are free up to 2 years
Inclusions: English speaking guide, visit to our private exhibition room, many stops for photos and questions.
Exclusions: Entry fees to sights and museums, transport to the meeting point or from the conclusion point, gratuity/tip.
Year Round - Daily at 14:30
Absolute Tour Center - 1065 Budapest, Lazar Street 16., located right behind the Opera House.
Duration: 3.5 hours
The Hammer and Sickle tour, the way it was comrade! Written and raved about in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal and other major newspapers, this tour takes you on a journey back to the times about how life was like during our 50 years of Communism.
We summarize how it all started, how Big Brother told us what to do and what not to do. We'll teach you about how life was like behind the Iron Curtain. How children were brought up, how families lived, how we traveled, where we could travel, how long it took to get a passport and many other interesting experiences from black markets to banana lines.
Also included on the tour is a visit to our own private exhibition room. Here we will introduce you to the real features of a Hungarian home through relics to typical furniture and furnishings. Furthermore, we have an extensive collection of many communist related artifacts and relics, such as red and blue passports, party member's registration book, pins, medals, currency and huge placards to help your understanding of the propaganda we once lived under!
Along the tour, we introduce you to the historical approach through the last 200 years of contemporary Hungarian history. Hungary's past is filled with victories, failures and struggles. We lead you through these eventful times through the sights depicting the historical outcome and how they shaped Hungary today.
On the tour we go through the Hungarian history that “shook” the world including the 1956 Revolution. Prior to the revolution in 1956 a plethora of events such as the War of Independence, the Great Compromise, WWI, WWII gave huge significance to the meaning behind the Hungarian quest for freedom. After delving into recent history we take a microscopic approach towards the newly appointed communist government after World War II that led to the events of the . The tour leads you through the remembrance of the first protests and marches and the first shootings and killings that led the Hungarians to fight back against an unethical regime and some of the major areas where all the action happened. Some of our stops and stories will be about our Liberty Square and Cardinal Mindszenty's part in the revolution as well as discussing the significance of the square and we'll check out one of the city's last remaining memorials to the Soviet Union! We will embrace the character of Imre Nagy by his memorial in remembrance of the man who defied the leaders in Moscow and paid dearly on the gallows two years later. Another stop will be the Parliament where authorities fired on protestors, which caused Hungarian to rise up.
The 1956 Uprising was a short-lived battle on the streets but silently in the back of the minds of many Hungarians plotted their flight from Communism and finally laid to rest the memories through the reburial of Imre Nagy leading to free elections and a return to a free society.
Conclusion point: In center of the city, close to public transport links
Our walking tours are small personal groups and generally do not have more than 15 participants, making them interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know your guide and press them for local tips of where to go and what else to do.
- Discounted pricing: Infant(s) free up to 2 years, children: 3-12 years special price, 13 years and older are charged at student price, student rate will require a valid student ID card when joining the tour.
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3 hours.
- Visiting the exhibition room requires the ability to climb one flight of stairs (with handrail).
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- Programs cancelled within 72 hours of travel date incur 100% cancellation penalty with no refunds given. No show or non-participation on tour/program will not be refunded.