- WALKING TOURS
- Budapest Absolute Walk
- Budapest Castle District Walk with dessert stop
- Hammer & Sickle Tour, Communist Times
- Hidden Budapest
- Night Stroll & Boat Cruise
- Christmas Market Tour with Wine Tasting
- Alternative Budapest Tour
- Absolute Street-food Experience
- Classic Gastro Tour with Wine Tasting
- Budapest Pub Crawl Nightlife Tour
- BIKE & SEGWAY
- Segway Tours:
- Daily Segway Tours in Budapest
- Year Round Daily Segway Tours
- Budapest Fun Segway Tour
- Evening Segway Tour + Margaret Island visit
- Budapest Castle District Segway Tour
- Off-Road Segway Adventure in Buda Hills
- Bike Tours and Hiring:
- Bike Tours in Budapest
- Budapest Bike Tour with café stop
- Budapest Summer Evening Bike Ride
- Szentendre Bike Tour
- Budapest Bike Rental & Hire
- Big Groups & Incentives:
- Large Group Segway and Bike Tours
- Segway Company Incentives
- PRIVATE TOURS
- Private Budapest Walking Tour with Cafe Stop
- Private Buda Castle Walk with Cafe Stop
- Private Budapest Night Stroll & Boat Cruise
- Private Communist Times & Statue Park visit
- Private Hammer & Sickle Tour
- Private Jewish Budapest Walking Tour
- Private Tour of Budapest & Hungary History
- Private Bike Tours in Budapest
- Private Budapest Segway Tours
- Budapest Private Fun Segway Tour
- Private City Tour by Minivan
- University & School Group Budapest Tours
- Budapest Incentive & Conference Tours
- OUT OF BUDAPEST
- SPECIAL PROGRAMS
- CONTACT & ABOUT
The way it was Comrade!
Go back to the good old times when we drove Trabants, drank spirits at work, lived in blocks of flats, stood in Banana Lines, had two passports, coupon books, no TV on Mondays and no freedom of speech! Experience the build up to 1956 uprising, follow the marches, re-live the battles, hear the stories!
Highlights and Themes
- In-depth Communist history of Hungary
- Recent history that put Hungary on the political map: 1956 Revolution, WWI-II, 19th century overview
- Visit our own unique exhibition of what life used to be like back then (display of furniture, artifacts, documents, relics)
- 1956 Speeches, Protests, Marches and Soviet invasion areas
- Life and culture and how we lived under big brother
- Prelude to freedom with fall of the Iron Curtain
Group over 5 people
Inclusions: Private professional English speaking guide, private transfer to Statue Park and back, entry and guided tour of the Statue Park and visit to our own private exhibition room.
Exclusions: Food and beverages, transport from the end point, gratuity/tip.
All year around daily - 9:30, 14:30
At your accommodation.
In case accommodation is not centrally located: meeting point can be arranged in Absolute Tour Centre - 1065 Budapest, Lázár utca 16 or in previously agreed meeting point.
Conclusion Point: In centre of the city, close to public transport connections
Duration: 4 hours
We summarize how it all started, how Big Brother told us what to do and what not to do. We'll teach you about how life was like behind the iron curtain. How children were brought up, how families lived, how we travelled, where we could travel, how long it took to get a passport and many other interesting experiences from black markets to banana lines.
At the start of the tour we go out to the famous outdoor Statue Park by private car (where we put all the communist statues after our change in 1990) for a guided tour learning the symbolism of the statues from Lenin, Marx and Engels, Friendships' and “liberations.” We cover the ideas behind them and where they were placed in the city and for what reasons. Also at the park we will visit some exhibitions of communism related themes that is ever changing along with a real Trabant car that was originally designed to be a covered motorcycle and became a trademark as the “Hungarian family car!”
On the tour we go through the Hungarian history that “shook” the world with the 1956 revolution as one of the main highlighted themes. Prior to the revolution in 1956 a plethora of events such as the War of Independence, Great Compromise, WWI, WWII gave huge significance to the meaning behind the Hungarian quest for freedom. After delving through the recent history we take a microscopic approach towards the newly appointed communist government after World War II that led to the events of the 1956 Revolution.
The tour leads you through the remembrance of the first protests and marches and the first shootings and killings that led the Hungarians to fight back against an unethical regime and some of the major areas where all the action happened. Some of our stops and stories will be about our Liberty Square for Cardinal Mindszenty's part in the revolution as well as the significance of the square and the last remaining tribute to the Soviet Union!
We will embrace the character of Imre Nagy by his memorial in remembrance of the man who defied the leaders in Moscow and paid dearly on the gallows two years later. Another stop will be the Parliament area where shots were fired, which instigated the revolt to take up arms and defend one's freedom.
The 1956 Uprising was a short lived battle on the streets but silently in the back of the minds of many Hungarians they plotted their flight from communism and finally laid to rest the memories through the reburial of Imre Nagy leading to free elections and a return to a free society.
Also included on the tour is our own private exhibition room. Where we will introduce you to the real features of a Hungarian home through relics to typical furniture and furnishings. Furthermore we have an extensive collection of many communist related relics, such as red and blue passports, party member's registration book, pins, medals, currency and huge placards to help your understanding of the propaganda we once lived under!
- Discounted pricing: Infant(s) free up to 2 years, children: 3-12 years special price, 13 years and older are charged at student price, student rate will require a valid student ID card when joining the tour.
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking, for up to 3 hours.
- Visiting the exhibition room requires the ability to climb one flight of stairs (with handrail).
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- Programs cancelled within 72 hours of travel date incur 100% cancellation penalty where no refunds are given. No show or non-participation on tour/program will not be refunded.
- In case accommodation is not centrally-located: meeting point can be arranged at Absolute Tour Center 1065 Budapest, Lázár utca 16 or at previously agreed meeting point. In case accommodation is not centrally-located: meeting point can be arranged at Absolute Tour Center 1065 Budapest, Lázár utca 16 or at previously agreed meeting point.